[texbirds] Magical apparition of the BK on 2/19/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:30:02 -0500 (EST)

I left the house at 3:45 yesterday morning to make the long slog up to Possum
Kingdom Lake for the Barrow's Goldeneye.  Hadn't seen one in 20 years so I
thought this was my chance.  At 1:15PM after a refreshing 520 mile drive I was
scoping the lake from the earlier decribed park on the south side hoping to
easily find the duck.  It was not encouraging to hear from the birders present
that they had a possible view four hours earlier and nothing since then.  The
next two hours consisted of painful scoping of the distant shoreline.  Every
thirty minutes or so a goldeneye would pop up in the scope at 500 yards for a
couple of seconds.  This was not what I had in mind.  Then at about 3:15 or so
the Barrow's Goldeneye just magically appeared right off shore as if sent from
above.  What a great view!

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/BKatPK_zpsd69fc1a4.jpg

Then I ran up to see the Rough-legged Hawk on 337 about 4.5 miles north of the
intersection with 254.  It was distantly viewable in the scope in the large
field to the left.  So with twitches in hand I headed for home and drove into
the driveway at 1:45 AM.  1040 miles driven, a Barrow's Goldeneye and a
Rough-legged Hawk in 22 hours!

Dan Jones, Weslaco