[texbirds] Made it to Junction!

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 19:30:31 -0400 (EDT)

Let's try this again... ;-)

Dropped Bippy off at the shop and procured a rental (with the help and
moral support of Fred & MJ :-)) and managed to get out of town at a decent
hour!  The shift in schedule forced a choice of only one Hill Country stop,
and since I wasn't sure if Kerr WMA was gonna be closed for a turkey hunt
tomorrow, I chose South Llano River SP.  Then it dawned on me that I  probably
had time just to swing by Kerr on my way to Junction, just long enough  to
pick up the Black-capped Vireo, as this is the ONLY place I've ALWAYS gotten
them!  It was a gorgeous day, and pulled in about 3:00; got down the road
about .3 of a mile and had a Golden-cheeked Warbler right away, that showed
off  in typical friendly Goldencheek fashion, singing away!  Continued down
to  about the mile point (just before entering "Fawn") when a green and gray
bird  shot into a tree next to the pullout, and when it shot across the
road into a  bush, he gave me just enough of a glimpse to confirm the Blackcap
(and even sang  for good measure)!  BTW, that's the usual look I get, IF I
even get a  look... ;-))

Didn't have anything out of the ordinary driving up from McAllen (the
Pauraque was singing outside my apartment first thing), but other nice "non
Valley" birds included Carolina Chickadee and Common Grackle outside the
hotel!  One thing I DID notice a lot of up here were vehicles with "deer
catchers" on the front; might not be a bad investment...

Today's additions brought the trip list up to an even 100!  Pictures  will
get up as I'm able, but since I'll be getting up at oh dark hundred every
morning to hit the birding areas pre-dawn, I'll necessarily be hitting the
sack  early and may not have time to process pics and recordings.  Bird  List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Wild  Turkey                            Meleagris gallopavo
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
Red-shouldered  Hawk                    Buteo lineatus
Red-tailed  Hawk                        Buteo jamaicensis
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Common  Pauraque                        Nyctidromus albicollis
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Black-capped  Vireo                     Vireo atricapilla
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Carolina  Chickadee                     Poecile carolinensis
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Bewick's  Wren                          Thryomanes bewickii
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher                  Polioptila caerulea
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Golden-cheeked  Warbler                 Setophaga chrysoparia
Yellow-breasted  Chat                   Icteria virens
Chipping  Sparrow                       Spizella passerina
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Summer  Tanager                         Piranga rubra
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Common  Grackle                         Quiscalus quiscula
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
House  Finch                            Haemorhous mexicanus
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
40 SPECIES
So far:  100  SPECIES