[texbirds] MALE GH OWL CATCHES A COTTONTAIL FOR HIS LADY FRIEND

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:30:52 -0400 (EDT)

At 4:30 AM this morning, while backing my trike out of my garage, I heard the
death scream of a CT rabbit coming from my neighbor's front yard about 45 feet
in front of my house.  There was not enough light to see clearly, but I could
make out a large bird on the ground, apparently biting at its prey.  Then in a
matter of seconds it lifted the body and flew towards the riparian area to the
east (in front of my house).

 I delayed my trike ride to listen for GH owl hoots, and I was not
disappointed; within 30 seconds the male began to call from the area where I
had seen the bird fly towards, and about 10 seconds later, a female answered
his calls; she was to the south of his position about 200 yards away,

So, I hopped on my trike and by the time I got to her  location, the male had
beaten me there, and they were calling to each other in rapid succession.  I
imagine that she was delighted with his honeymoon breakfast offer!

Mira M. Pellerin
Pearland, TX