[texbirds] Lubbock this evening

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 19:00:21 -0500

Greetings,
I got a text from Ross Rickett at about 16:00. I was busy catching up on
the sleep I deprived myself of during the Brewster Co. Big Day, but
eventually got around to looking at the text. He had an Upland Sandpiper at
Mae Simmons Park. Spring records of Uplands are hard to come by out here. I
decided to brave the heat and make my way out there.

It wasn't hard to find the bird. Ross described the location perfectly and
there it was.

I thought I might as well check out below the Lake 6 dam while I was out.

Nothing great on my first pass. I knew there was a Tricolored Heron around
somewhere. On my way back I was able to spot the Tricolored and get some
digibinned photos of it. Right below the dam I heard some chipping and
eased up to it. Immediately a Palm Warbler popped up. I digibinned that
bird and then a Northern Waterthrush chased the Palm off its perch.

Not a bad, unexpected end to the birding day.

Here is also a list from an excellent morning at Clapp Park:

Bird Often!
Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX