[texbirds] Lubbock area highlights yesterday and today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 08:17:51 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I attended a function out towards Reese Center yesterday evening and, between
7:00 and 8:45, I heard Upland Sandpiper at leats seven times.  The birds all
appeared to be moving from north to south and I am going on the presumption
that at least seven birds can be tallied.  An adjacent yard had a hummingbird
feeder which was being fought over by a male Black-chinned Hummingbird and a
male Rufous Hummingbird.

This morning I popped by the egretry at Leroy Elmore Park.  I was able to tally
4 Great Egrets, 40 Snowy Egrets, 1 immature Tricolored Heron, 120 Cattle Egrets
(though 32 of these were flyovers), and 7 White-faced Ibises.  Also present at
the lake: 1 Cackling Goose, 1 Canada Goose, 1 Ruddy Duck, and 3 flyover
Double-crested Cormorants.  I saw no sign of the Neotropic Cormorants that have
spent most of the spring/summer at the site.

An hour and a half at Clapp Park proved interesting.   The playas kicked out 1
Northern Shoveler, 6 Great Egrets, 17 Snowy Egrets, 1 immature Tricolored
Heron, 9 Black-crowned Night Herons, 2 Yellow-crowned Night Herons,  4 Green
Herons, and 2 Black-necked Stilts.  There was a very quiet Bell's Vireo - as
well as a smallish family of Orchard Orioles - along the dike.  An adult male
Broad-tailed Hummingbird was interacting aggressively with at least two members
of a family of Black-chinned Hummingbirds (presumably the adults) at
Shrubhenge.  There was a single Inca Dove and an adult female Calliope
Hummingbird (amidst the many Black-chinned Hummingbirds) at the butterfly
gardens in the adjacent arboretum.  There were 2 male Bronzed Cowbirds on the
lawn at the north end of the arboretum.

The immature Tricolored Heron was last seen at Leroy Elmore Park at 7:45 AM.
On the way to Clapp Park I stopped at a grocery store but I was on the immature
Tricolored Heron at Clapp Park at 8:07 AM.  While it is certainly possible that
this is the same bird I would not consider this to be an absolute certainty.
It is entirely possible that there are two Tricolored Herons in the Lubbock
area right now and this might be shaken out by either photographs or having two
observers work the two sites simultaneously.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock