[texbirds] Lubbock area Chestnut-sided Warbler, Least Tern, others

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 18:43:32 -0500

Greetings All:
I spent the day birding some of the hot spots of Lubbock County with Byron
Stone. It was an odd day: no empids, no vireos, no thrushes, few warblers
but some high quality critters nonetheless.

We started at MacKenzie Park where 1.5 hours produced three highlights -
all three were Broad-winged Hawks.

1.25 hours at Lake Six kicked out the following highlights (many in the
upland areas above the lake): 4 Cackling Geese, 2 Ruddy Ducks, 1 Cooper's
Hawk, 1 Nashville Warbler, 2 Common Yellowthroats, 1 Yellow Warbler, 1 male
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 Yellow-breasted Chat, 1
Clay-colored Sparrow, and 1 male Bronzed Cowbird.

Close to an hour in the riparian area below Lake Six kicked out the
following highlights: 1 Yellow Warbler, 6 White-crowned Sparrows, 1 male
Black-headed Grosbeak, and 1 female Bronzed Cowbird.

After lunch we spent two hours a Ransom Lake which kicked out 1 VERY
SURPRISING Common Loon, 8 Snowy Egrets, 1 Osprey, 1 Western Wood Pewee, 2
Purple Martins, 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, 1 Bank Swallow, 2
Verdins, an entire family of Rock Wrens (2 adults; at least four
fledglings), 2 Canyon Wrens, 1 House Wren, 1 Northern Waterthrush, 1 Common
Yellowthroat, 1 Lark Bunting, and 1 female Black-headed Grosbeak.

We spent a half hour along the road between the V8 Ranch and Buffalo
Springs Lake (which is sometimes good for migrants) with but a single
higlight: 1 LEAST TERN flying over the lake.

We finished off the day with an hour at Clapp Park where highlights were
few indeed (thanks perhaps to a combination of terribly high water and
gusty winds): 2 Blue-winged Teals, 1 White-faced Ibis, 1 Yellow-rumped
Warbler, 2 Clay-colored Sparrows, 1 Blue Grosbeak, and 4 American
Goldfinches.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock