[texbirds] Lubbock Trumpeter Swan

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:40:04 -0600

Greetings,
I received a call from Steve Collins this morning reporting that a local
birder saw the continuing immature swan fly into Whisperwood Pond today. I
was in the far north Texas Panhandle (no, there are no Black-billed Magpie
this year) conducting some work, but was heading home in the afternoon. I
had seen this swan briefly in early February, but not good enough to get a
solid ID. My fingers were crossed.

It was a long and tumultuous drive back to Lubbock. A bad wreck shut down
the highway I was on for 30 minutes. AND I was pulled over because my work
truck matched the description of a truck they were looking for. Sigh.

I got to Lubbock a little before 5 and went straight to the pond. The bird
was right in the middle of the lake. Yay! Unfortunately, I had to look
straight into the sun. This is a private lake and you cannot trespass on
the grass.

Photos can be found here. The deep V in the forehead/bill, the blocky head
and the dingy plumage this late in the year make this almost certainly a
Trumpeter.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjU2fMHg

I am sure Steve Collins has better photos. Hopefully he will post them at
some point.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX