[texbirds] Lubbock Highlights today - including and Ovenbird!

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:54:05 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I spent the morning and a wee bit of the afternoon checking out three of
Lubbock's hotspots in hope that last night's front, puny as it might have ended
up in our area, might have stalled something interesting.

I spent two and a quarter hours at Clapp Park, picking up 51 species of bird
(much better than most recent visits) including the following highlights: 1
American Wigeon, 3 Gadwalls, 1 Cinnamon Teal, 12 Green-winged Teals, 13 Snowy
Egrets, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 2 Cooper's Hawks, 1 Sora, 1 Peregrine
Falcon, 1 Willow Flycatcher, 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 1 Northern Waterthrush, 1
Black-and-white Warbler, 18 Orange-crowned Warblers, 2 Nashville Warblers, 2
MacGillivray's Warblers, 1 Common Yellowthroat, 2 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1
Townsend's Warbler, 11 Wilson's Warblers, 1 Spotted Towhee, 22 Chipping
Sparrows, 36 Clay-colored Sparrows, 2 Brewer's Sparrows, 1 Lincoln's Sparrow, 1
Blue Grosbeak, and 2 Painted Buntings.

I spent about an hour in the riparian area below Lake Six, picking up 13
species of bird (way off the usual tally but better than the last visit)
including 1 Western Wood Pewee, 4 Cave Swallows,  2 House Wrens, 1 Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, 1 Ovenbird (just below the spillway - sheltering under the concrete
overhang), 3 Orange-crowned Warblers, and 4 Wilson's Warblers.

I spent about an hour and a quarter working Lake Six, including short walks
along the two largest draws, noting 33 species (a considerable improvement over
the last visit) including 2 Northern Shovelers, 2 Ruddy Ducks, 2 Snowy Egrets,
1 Red-shouldered Hawk (seen earlier by Cameron Carver), 3 Northern Rough-winged
Swallows, 1 Bank Swallow, 8 Cave/Cliff Swallows, 1 House Wren, 1 Bewick's Wren,
1 Hermit Thrush, 3 Orange-crowned Warblers, 1 MacGillivray's Warbler, 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler, 4 Wilson's Warblers, 6 Chipping Sparrows, 21
Clay-colored Sparrows, and 2 Vesper Sparrows.

That's it for my September birding - unless something fantastic pops up in my
yard or needs chasing tomorrow - and I was very relieved to (finally) come
across a warbler of note.  Here's hoping for some good fronts during the first
two weekends of October:)

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock