[texbirds] Lubbock Highlights from this Morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 11:43:28 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I hit four of my favorite hotpots this morning, looking for late fall
migrants/early winter birds with some success.

Fifteen minutes at Leroy Elmore Park kicked out 2 Wood Ducks and 1 Snowy Egret.

Ten minutes at Miller Park yielded a single Great Egret as a highlight.

Fifteen minutes at Casey Park provided nothing in the way of highlights.

An hour and a half at Clapp Park was very slow at the start but really picked
up when the sun began warming the smartweed-covered playa bed and the willows
lining the main playa.  The best way to get the goodies at this site at this
point is to gird one's loins, bite the bullet, grab the bull by the horns,
whatever you favored cliche... and wade through the smartweed thickets.

All in all I tallied 28 species at Clapp Park, including 1 Green Heron, 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk, 2 Cooper's Hawks, 1 Western Wood Pewee, 1 Eastern Phoebe, 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (with a very small herd of Barn Swallows), 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 1 Hermit Thrush, 5 Orange-crowned Warblers, 2
MacGillivray's Warblers, 2 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 1
Spotted Towhee, 1 Chipping Sparrow, 2 Clay-colored Sparrows, and 1 Lincoln's
Sparrow. I dipped on the White-crowned Sparrow(s) seen earlier by Peter Barnes
and Cameron Carver.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock