[texbirds] Lubbock County

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 22:43:36 -0600

Greetings,

My father and I made a pass through Lubbock County today on my way to elsewhere.
Started with BBQ at Eddie's. That's not really relevant, but it's a must stop
for anyone visiting the flat-ass, dusty town... cough cough, I mean Lubbock.

We checked out the cemetery for some recently reported Western Bluebirds, but
only found Eastern. Nothing else of note there. Disappointing considering the
quality birds found there in early winter.

Nothing notable at Lake 6 other than 7 Common Mergansers.

City Farms was disappointing. We found a juvenile Red-tailed that seemed to
have something wrong with it. The eyes looked crazy (as in the bird had
crazy-eyes) and it looked like a miniature.
Only a couple Ferruginous Hawks.

Ransom Canyon had two female Greater Scaup mixed in with some Lessers. Also 3
Common Goldeneye and roughly 30 Common Mergansers. It was slow otherwise.

A stroll through Yellowhouse picked up the usuals. Lots of Greater Roadrunners
out with this 80 degree weather.

The TTU ponds had little on them. 3 Canvasback was all I could find. One of my
lowest counts for the species at that location during winter.

The Lewis's Woodpecker remains at its tree patch west of Shallowater. It put on
a good show, but I still haven't managed good photos of the bird.

Finished the day at Elmore. A handful of Wood Ducks. All 5 regularly occurring
Texas wild goose species were present. The Double-crested Cormorant roost was
smaller than usual. The gull roost has also moved elsewhere. I wish someone
would track Ring-billed Gull movements in this area (across the entire southern
plains even). It would be a cool project. Procuring funds would be a nightmare.

All hail the glow cloud.
Cameron Carver
Currently Wandering

Sent from your iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at