[texbirds] Lubbock Cemetery Highlights - Including Cassin's Finches

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:14:05 -0600

Greetings All:
After I led the LEAS field trip I wandered on over to the Lubbock Cemetery
where Phillip Kite, John O'Brien, and David Sarkozi were looking at
Cassin's Finches!

From 10:35 to 1:20 I worked the cemetery (part of the time with PK, JO, and
DS) and my highlights are listed below.  In parentheses I note whether or
not species were seen by the others - numbers probably varied from person
to person so I am reporting mine.

1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (AH)
8 Red-breasted Nuthatches (all)
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (AH, PK)
6 Golden-crowned Kinglets (all)
4 Eastern Bluebirds (all)
8 Western Bluebirds (all)
25 Cedar Waxwings (all)
4 Orange-crowned Warblers (all)
1 Chipping Sparrow (AH)
3 Red Crossbills (AH only - flyover and call notes - 2 red, 1 yellow)
4 Cassin's Finches (all - 2 females and 2 males - pictures of most, if not
all, were obtained by several observers).

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock