[texbirds] Lost Maples State Natural Area birds last Sunday (April 13)

  • From: drbirdie@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:02:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,
I stopped in at Lost Maples SNA in Bandera County on Sunday afternoon en route
back to Austin from co-leading the TOS Hill Country birding weekend in Uvalde.
My main objective was to see and perhaps photograph the pair of White-tipped
Doves that have been hanging around one of the feeders.
Within minutes of arriving at the bird observation blind and feeding station
beside the parking lot for the east trailhead, I was startled by the booming
"Hoo-hoo-oo" of a White-tipped Dove. It must have been singing from the tin
roof of the bird blind. I couldn't see the bird, but I saw another WTDO in the
low, dead branches of a small cedar tree near the blind. This non-singing bird
was preening nonchalantly, but it soon dropped to the ground and started
walking around under the cedar tree. Almost immediately, the other bird landed
near it and started chasing the presumed female WTDO, posturing and making
additional vocalizations. I got a few photos of each bird and then the presumed
female flew off into the brush.
I left the blind shortly thereafter, but could hear the male singing again
during a couple of return trips to the parking lot.
All of this was between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m.
A birder from Alaska told me he had seen a male and female Lazuli Bunting at
the feeders at the birding host's campsite (near the maintenance area). So I
went back to those feeders, and saw and photographed a male Lazuli Bunting
there. Also had a Yellow-throated Warbler stop in briefly for suet. A birding
couple from Ontario later told me that they had seen three Lazuli Buntings at
that feeding station (!).
Also had a Scott's Oriole and a couple of flyover Swainson's Hawks.
The birding hosts were not in, but the written list from their bird walk on
Saturday morning had an asterisk beside Painted Redstart (!). My written list
would have an asterisk beside that bird, too.
No mention of where they saw it.
It seems to be a Lazuli Bunting type of spring on the plateau this year, so
keep your eyes peeled.
I've also gotten a credible report of White-tipped Doves singing at Trapp
Spring in Kerr WMA in Kerr County, so they appear to be establishing a foothold
in the southern plateau.
If anyone relocates the Painted Redstart at Lost Maples, I sure would like to
hear about it.
Good birding ya'll,
Byron Stone, Austin