[texbirds] Long-tailed Jaeger ID (longish)

  • From: "gil.eckrich" <gil.eckrich@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 15:30:31 -0500

First of all, I checked the entire south shore of Lake Belton, from BLORA
westwards - no sign of the Jaeger. Would have enjoyed sharing this bird with
other birders. As it turned out, only Liz Cowan, whom I saw birding nearby,
got to see it.

  I have just about zero experience with Jaegers/Skuas, but knew it was
different from other, more 'expected' birds. When I first saw it, it looked
like just another recently exposed  stump
<http://geckrich.com/Long-tailed%20Jaeger/slides/Long-tailed%20Jaeger%202014
-09-08_1.html>  , but then I noted ripples emanating from the small  stump.
I drove closer and could then see it was a brown water bird (light
conditions at little after 09:00 hrs stank) preening and seemingly aimlessly
drifting about.

  I quickly set up my 600mm Canon, with 1.4x extender, and started to take
photos, 20 of which are posted here
<http://geckrich.com/Long-tailed%20Jaeger/index.html>  .  When I returned at
about 11:30, the bird had left.

  Now to the rational of the ID: Cameron Cox, who has a wealth of experience
with such birds, first pointed out that the small, rounded head and high
"keeled" appearance on the water pointed to juv LT, as did the time of year.

  Michael Retter also pointed out that the LT, while perhaps a rarer bird,
is more reasonably expected inland in late Aug and Sep.

  I turned to Kenn Kaufman's Advanced Birding for much more information on
the three Jaegers. Once I lightened some of the pics, I could see notes that
while Pomarine head is darker and more uniform, without obvious pale area on
nape and head is almost never streaked, the Long-tailed has nape that is
usually somewhat pale and has some fine streaking on the face.

  Petra Hockey noted she is totally on board with the LT ID based on
migration period and that the cold gray color and the profile shot of the
bill, as well as undertail coverts nails it down.

  Randy Pinkston reviewed the 20 images and concurs that the bill structure
is fine for LT, as is the grayish cast of the plumage. I just wish Randy
could have broken away from his demanding profession to see this bird.

That about wraps it up, and wish me success in making a convincing argument
to the TBRC on the LT ID.

Gil Eckrich

Belton

---