[texbirds] Re: Long-tailed Duck in Palacios - update

  • From: Bob and Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 20:20:31 -0600

Brush,

Thanks very much for sharing this history on Oldsquaw/LTDU. What a shame such
numbers were once killed in gill nets; doubtless still occurs in places like
Mexico where gill nets are still used.  Still it is encouraging that the
prediction of many ducks becoming extinct did not occur.  Thanks to game laws
and success management recent data suggests that our duck (and geese)
populations are as healthy as they have ever been; a very good thing.  Ducks
certainly seem like happy children as they chase each other around on the bay...

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios

Sent from my iPad