[texbirds] Long-billed Curlews at A.E. Dyess Park, Tomball, NW Harris County

  • From: "Kyle McCreary" <kmccreary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:58:21 -0600

Driving by A.E. Dyess Park near Tomball (northwest Harris County) around 8:45
this morning, I spotted a couple of unexpected shorebirds flying over and
popped in to check.  I was very surprised to find 14 Long-billed Curlew picking
their way through one of the soccer fields toward the back (far north end) of
the park.  This is the first time I have seen LBCU in the area, although I
notice a small handful of other sitings in the area have been logged on eBird
over the past decade.

I also noticed (again, according to eBird) that 18 curlews were seen at A.E.
Dyess Park last Saturday, so it may be that they are hanging around the area
for a while.

Location of A.E. Dyess Park for anyone interested:
https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&q0.0444685,-95.6745537&ll0.0444685,-95.6745537

Happy Birding!

Kyle McCreary
Tomball / NW Houston