[texbirds] Long-Tailed Duck at Sea Center Texas - Access

  • From: "Tom Morris" <tmorris44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:22:11 -0600

Sea Center Texas (David Abbrego) has graciously allowed for visitors to see the
long-tailed duck in escorted groups.  Two dates and times have been
established.  Tomorrow, Fri 16th at 3 to 5 pm and Saturday 8 to 10 am.  Jerry
Eppner and myself will be there to point out the duck and will have a scope,
though a scope is not necessary to see the bird quite well.  It is an adult
female.  There is also a least grebe in the fresh water wetlands that is open
to the public daily.  It is not always visible, but has been around for the
past three days.
From Houston, take 288 south to Lake Jackson.  Once in Lake Jackson, take the
Plantation Drive exit and turn right on Plantation Dr.  There will be a
Buccee's station on your right.  Go down Plantation drive until it dead ends
into Hospital Drive.  Sea Center will be directly in front of you.  Park toward
the right side.  There will be an open gate and you can walk in there if there
is someone at the gate to guide you.  If not wait at the gate until you are
escorted.

It is a very short walk to the pond where the duck has been seen and with a
paved levee, you will be fine with tennis shoes or your favorite birding shoes.
 It is out in the open, so come dressed accordingly for the temp and wind
predictions.  We will have a signup sheet so please sign in.

There are about 30 ducks (mainly lesser scaup) in this pond being used by the
long-tailed duck and they are occasionally spooked but have returned to the
same pond over the past two days.  There is no guarantee they will be there at
the times we have selected, but they have returned within an hour so we are
hoping that a two hour window will be sufficient.  Cameras are allowed and Sea
Center Texas visitor center will be open from 9 am to 4 pm if you want to see
fish of the Gulf Coast or desire a tour of the hatchery.

Please do not call Sea Center about this bird - they have limited staff and are
busy running the hatchery.  If you just have to have more information call me
at 979-236-2991.

Tom Morris
Lake Jackson