[texbirds] Lewisville today - good shorebirds

  • From: "Keith Lockhart" <keithlockhart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 16:15:22 -0500

I birded Lewisville Lake Park (LLP) and Lewisville Lake Environmental
Learning Area (LLELA) this morning and had a total of 74 species.
Shorebirds were coming thru in good numbers.
Highlights include:

LLP:

Spotted, Semi-palmated, Least, White-rumped, Baird's, Buff-breasted, and
Pectoral Sandpipers.  Lark Sparrows and Savannah Sparrows still showing in
good numbers.  Also had a flock of approximately 300 Yellow-headed
Blackbirds.  A very late Double-crested Cormorant was present and my FOS
Baltimore Oriole.  About 1500 Franklin's Gulls were resting on a sandbar.

LLELA:

Saw a pair of Ring-necked Ducks (male and female).  Seems late to me but
Pulich reports them as late as 25 May in the Dallas area.

There was a Hooded Merganser female in one of the ponds along the Bittern
Marsh Trail with 7 little ones following her around.

Watched a Cooper's Hawk chase a Lesser Yellowlegs on the river but failed to
make a catch.

Saw  Spotted, Solitary, Semi-palmated, Western, White-rumped, Baird's, and
Pectoral Sandpipers; Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Dunlin, Wilson's
Phalarope, and Semi-palmated Plover.

Other good sightings were Ladder-backed Woodpecker and Philadelphia Vireo.
Only warblers were a Black and White and a Louisiana Waterthrush.

Keith Lockhart

Highland Village, TX