[texbirds] Lesser Goldfinch, Brazoria County

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:20:18 -0600

TexBirders,

The cold brought a couple new visitors to our home this morning. A beautiful
adult male Lesser Goldfinch came to our thistle feeder along with 10 or more
American Goldfinches. He really stood out among the drab American
Goldfinches with his bright yellow undersides and jet black top. He returned
to the feeder on and off throughout the morning and came in once when I was
home for lunch. Maybe he will hang around a while.

We also had an adult male Rufous Hummingbird show up. He is terrorizing the
young male Allen's and the three Black-chins that have been there for a
while. I caught him at lunch and gave him some jewelry.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, PhD
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 Hwy 332 West