[texbirds] Lesser Black-backed Gull still @ Boca Chica

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:24:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

The VNC trip to Boca Chica Beach was a huge success, with Michael's Lesser
Black-backed Gull being the primary target.  Pat Heirs was kind enough to
join us (she and Marie Stewart and Joyce Davidson had seen it yesterday), so
the  complete contingent consisted of Norma, Anita, and Sue from Harlingen,
and Pat,  MJ, Bob, and myself from Edinburg/Alamo.  After meeting at the
511/77  Stripes (where we had a few Wood Storks fly over the road) we headed
straight to  the beach (with a stop to enjoy a flock of Avocets in the tidal
flats) and down  to the mouth, but didn't spot the target gull until we were
heading back  north--an immaculate breeding-plumaged bird!  We bagged Red
Knots, another  target species, heading north towards the jetties (both these
were life birds  for Norma).  We had a nice selection of terns including
juvenile Leasts,  and comparative looks at Common and Forster's Terns
together.  Great Blue  Herons in the dunes were very photogenic as well, and
cute
little Piping Plovers  put on a good show, along with one knockout
Black-bellied Plover still in  breeding plumage!  A young Caracara posed on a
rock (and
really blended in,  too), and along the road on the way there and back we
had Harris' and  White-tailed Hawks, along with a couple of Ospreys.  Bird
list is short,  but the quality can't be beat!  Pictures are posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/September/Boca%
20Chica%20Beach.html

Bird List:

  Wood  Stork                             Mycteria americana
Double-crested  Cormorant               Phalacrocorax auritus
Brown  Pelican                          Pelecanus occidentalis
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Reddish  Egret                          Egretta rufescens
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
White  Ibis                             Eudocimus albus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Osprey                                 Pandion haliaetus
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Black-bellied  Plover                   Pluvialis squatarola
Piping  Plover                          Charadrius melodus
American  Avocet                        Recurvirostra americana
Willet                                 Tringa semipalmata
Ruddy  Turnstone                        Arenaria interpres
Red  Knot                               Calidris canutus
Sanderling                             Calidris alba
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Ring-billed  Gull                       Larus delawarensis
Herring  Gull                           Larus argentatus
Lesser Black-backed  Gull               Larus fuscus
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Caspian  Tern                           Hydroprogne caspia
Common  Tern                            Sterna hirundo
Forster's  Tern                         Sterna forsteri
Royal Tern
Sandwich  Tern                          Thalasseus sandvicensis
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
40 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)