[texbirds] Lazuli Bunting @ Packery Channel

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 21:00:09 -0500

Hi, all!

Just a quick report this time, as it's getting past my bedtime. J Pulling
up to the Oak Motte off Sand Dollar around Packery Channel, a lady informed
me she had a Lazuli Bunting among other things. Had a ton of Indigos there
(along with orioles of both flavors and hummers attacking the coral bean and
oranges), but ran into a young man who encouraged me to walk the length of
San Dollar to look for the Townsend's Warbler, and in the process the Lazuli
popped up in the yard with the feeders! The lighting wasn't the best, and I
thought it was a male at first, but the (lousy) pictures show it to be a
female, but you CAN make out the bold white wing bar. Ran into several
birders (including two who were working on getting over 100 for the day - I
told them they shouldn't have a problem J), and we perused the neighborhood;
the gentleman who owned the property where the Townsend's had been very
graciously invited us right into his yard while he worked on his homemade
slide! There was a report of an ani, and one of the guys did hear it, but
most of us couldn't refind it.

To back up, Port Aransas was pretty productive: the Gray-cheeked Thrush was
still at the Birding Center, and a very friendly male Northern Parula posed
for pictures! I had a late female Myrtle Warbler on the boardwalk, along
with a female Redhead (had the male yesterday). Port Road was a WONDERFUL
place for shorebirds, with tons of Wilson's Phalaropes, Stilt Sandpipers,
and peeps, including lots of White-rumped Sandpipers! (I thought I had a
Baird's, but the photo proved it to be a dull Whiterump.) Goodies at
Paradise Pond included an extremely friendly Swainson's Thrush, a
Philadelphia Vireo that made a lot of people happy J, Bay-breasted,
Magnolia, and Chestnut-sided Warblers. Charlie's Pasture was another great
place for shorebird photography, as well as for spoonbills and other waders.
And I discovered to my chagrin that Semipalmated Sandpipers aren't the only
peeps to make that little warble that I thought was unique to them: I
caught some Least Sandpipers doing the same thing. L

After the aforementioned Packery Channel I headed over to Padre Island; only
had enough time to cruise the "free access" beach, which nevertheless had
nice shorebirds and larids to shoot, including Piping Plover and mating
Gull-billed Terns. Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata

Redhead Aythya americana

Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Sharp-shinned Hawk Accipiter striatus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Sora Porzana carolina

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus

Piping Plover Charadrius melodus

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularius

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda

Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres

Stilt Sandpiper Calidris himantopus

Sanderling Calidris alba

Dunlin Calidris alpina

Baird's Sandpiper Calidris bairdii

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

White-rumped Sandpiper Calidris fuscicollis

Pectoral Sandpiper Calidris melanotos

Semipalmated Sandpiper Calidris pusilla

Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri

Short-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus griseus

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Wilson's Phalarope Phalaropus tricolor

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Franklin's Gull Leucophaeus pipixcan

Herring Gull Larus argentatus

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

Least Flycatcher Empidonax minimus

Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

Warbling Vireo Vireo gilvus

Philadelphia Vireo Vireo philadelphicus

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

Purple Martin Progne subis

Bank Swallow Riparia riparia

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Gray-cheeked Thrush Catharus minimus

Swainson's Thrush Catharus ustulatus

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Northern Waterthrush Parkesia noveboracensis

Black-and-white Warbler Mniotilta varia

Tennessee Warbler Oreothlypis peregrina

Nashville Warbler Oreothlypis ruficapilla

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

American Redstart Setophaga ruticilla

Northern Parula Setophaga americana

Magnolia Warbler Setophaga magnolia

Bay-breasted Warbler Setophaga castanea

Yellow Warbler Setophaga petechia

Chestnut-sided Warbler Setophaga pensylvanica

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Black-throated Green Warbler Setophaga virens

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pheucticus ludovicianus

Lazuli Bunting Passerina amoena

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula

House Sparrow Passer domesticus