[texbirds] Late Post 11/16 - Anna's Hummingbird returns to Texas State campus for 3rd year

  • From: Chris Warren <warrech.gcwa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:55:03 -0600

Sorry for the late post. I got a text last Friday (11/16) from a friend,
Jeff Troy, saying that the male ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD apparently has returned
to the Texas State University campus for a third winter in a row! I
re-found the bird, singing up a storm, in a new location not far from its
wintering location the past few years.
In 2010 a professor at Texas State told me they noticed a large hummingbird
near some planted Salvia sp. flowers. I was able to ID an adult male the
following day. Most surprising was when an adult FEMALE showed up in the
same location, supplanting the male.

In 2011 several people saw an adult male in this same place on several
occasions. I only caught a brief glimpse of him. No female was observed in
2011.

This year Jeff Troy saw him in the same location. I refound him at newly
planted flowers in front of the Supple Science building. He was feeding
mostly on what I think are Coral Bean flowers.

Its funny that this guy (and the female) were only located because they
happened to set up shop near one of the biology buildings (or more
accurately between the biology building and the coffee dispensary!) on
campus. How many other places could they have wintered and no one would
have known!

Here is a link to his location now and the past few years.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217740297222926199423.0004b72a9c14e2cfd90b4&msa=0&ll=29.890792,-97.945819&spn=0.010139,0.010407

Chris Warren
Austin, TX