[texbirds] Late MacGillivray's Warbler in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:43:57 -0500

Greetings All:
Just after the heavy rains that lashed Lubbock this morning, I went out in
my backyard to rehang my hummingbird feeders (it got a bit windy overnight)
and flushed my yard's first ever Brown Thrasher!

I also noticed a smallish, warbleresque bird working the bigger lantanas
and got in close enough to get a bare eye view of a gorgeous, male
MacGillivray's Warbler. This is about as late as one can expect to see the
species in the Lubbock area - though we do have a couple of records from
early Novembers - and I am looking forward to the sighting getting flagged
by eBird:)

How I love that 'after the rains' smell.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock