[texbirds] Las Palomas & Adolphe Thomae

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 16:05:55 -0500

Hi, all!

Norma Friedrich, Sue Griffin, and Alicia Cavazos and I headed up to the
Arroyo Colorado unit of Las Palomas early this morning and hiked the main
road, only to find out later that it's really closed to the public (but the
TPW guy was very nice and let us stay - this time - and he even had somebody
that both Norma and Sue knew with him)! So we felt very privileged to be
able to check out this wonderful patch of woodland where we had numerous
Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Brown-crested Flycatchers, titmice, both woodpeckers,
and other typical Valley woodland birds! Sickle-winged Skippers were all
over the place, and we found one pile of scat that was just covered! Sue
was also pointing out the different footprints in the mud to us, including
one that looked like an awfully big cat, and the TWP guy confirmed that they
HAVE had Cougars in there! :-O We also had some frogs that I think were
Leopard Frogs (they were spotted, anyway), but I'll let the herp experts
confirm that! On the way out we had baby Bobwhite flying across the road!

After that hike we headed out to Adolph Thomae and hiked out to the end of
the spit where we saw the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher pair (Norma had found a
nest earlier but this time she said "no one was home"); even the guy taking
our money asked us what this really pretty pink bird was with the long
forked tail, as he had never seen one there before! J This was the leanest
I had seen the place so far as water birds went, but Norma picked up
Gull-billed Tern for the year at least, and a flock of about 30 White-faced
Ibis flew over! A Cassin's Sparrow sang way in the distance, Hooded Orioles
on the yuccas were fun, and at one of the stops on the way out I heard a
Green Kingfisher. A Roadrunner popped up by the dumpsters, immature
White-tailed and Harris' Hawks were soaring around, and a pair of Caracaras
was on the other bank. Lots of Seaside Dragonlets around, too.

Had a great lunch at Chili Willie's and picked up Tropical Kingbirds outside
the place! Pictures are here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/June/Adolph%20T
homae%20CP.html

or here:

http://tinyurl.com/pp3aws3

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Plain Chachalaca Ortalis vetula

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Harris' Hawk

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

White-tipped Dove Leptotila verreauxi

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Green Kingfisher Chloroceryle americana

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Brown-crested Flycatcher Myiarchus tyrannulus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Couch's Kingbird Tyrannus couchii

Tropical Kingbird

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Purple Martin Progne subis

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Cassin's Sparrow Peucaea cassinii

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus

House Sparrow Passer domesticus