[texbirds] Laredo birds as of late

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:21:04 -0600

Hello Birders,
A lot of interesting things have been seen here lately at Lake Casa Blanca
State Park in Laredo:

Anhingas - I saw one a few weeks ago, and a friend saw about 8 the other day
fair amount of Eared Grebes
the 2 WESTERN GREBES are still around as of the 1st of the year.
Zone-tailed Hawk - seen by a fellow birder on the 1st
1 BROWN PELICAN -  seen by a few birders on the 31st (I have not seen it
since but I only came back to work from time off this Wednesday)
1 Little Blue Heron -  I saw this fellow yesterday, after not seeing it for
a while
1 Tricolored Heron - I saw one today: new Texas bird for me!
5 Cattle Egrets - I saw them yesterday near the fishing pier

The water level of the lake is really good, and there is a fair amount of
waterfowl both on the lake and the north side of the park. Here's what I've
seen lately:

- 1 Ruddy Duck
- Ring-necked Duck (a few weeks ago)
- N. Shoveler
- Green-winged Teal
- about 15 Bufflehead
- some Lesser Scaup
- fair amount of Eared Grebes
and of course, American White Pelicans!

Also, at North Central Park (also in Laredo) on Tuesday, we had a Green
Heron. Always fun to see.

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo, TX