[texbirds] Laredo birding today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 22:18:55 -0500

Raul Delgado took me around to some great spots in Laredo this morning on a
pleasant cool morning, and I spent a rather hot afternoon visiting some
other locations. It was very birdy and I tallied 94 species for the day.
Thanks to Raul for his guiding, and to Susan Foster for suggesting a couple
of spots. Notable birds and species of interest to visitors, like those
coming to the TOS meeting in two weeks, were:
1 Least Grebe, Ranchito Rd (RR)
1 Little Blue Heron, RR
1 Reddish Egret, Father McNaboe Park (FMP). Raul got photos. They will be
on ebird soon.
7 Cinnamon Teal, RR
1 Krider's Red-tailed Hawk, Zacate Creek/Las Palmas Trail (ZC)
1 Harris' Hawk, Laredo Dump (LD)
1 flyover Long-billed Curlew, LD
1 Laughing Gull, alternate plumage, Lake Casa Blanca State Park (LCB)
1 first-year Herring Gull, LCB
7 Green Parakeets, roosting at dusk, Saint Peter's Square
1 Green Kingfisher, ZC
2 Black Phoebes, ZC
2 Brown-crested Flycatchers, LCB, Texas A&M International campus (TAI)
2 Green Jays, TAI, 4 at TAI
5 Cactus Wrens (heard), TAI
1 Clay-colored Thrush, FMP
3 Curve-billed Thrashers, TAI