[texbirds] Laredo, Webb County Birding

  • From: <pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 18:03:02 +0000

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The morning started out slowly at North Central Park, with four Bullock's
Orioles and a Green Kingfisher.  Glenda and I went on to Lake Casa Blanca where
lo and behold, two of the Western Grebes were still present and swimming
together.  Breeding?  Bonus bird at the lake was a juvenile Black Tern.  We
didn't know what it was at first while it was perched on a buoy.  Since my
magic worked last Saturday, I wished for someone smarter than I to come along.
Last week Willie S. and Mel C. showed up, but today bupkis.  I opened my eyes
and only Glenda was still standing there.  Luckily, the bird flew, and it was
obviously a tern which then helped us to make the correct ID.  From there we
went to Ranchito Road, adjacent to the lake, and had two singing male
White-collared Seedeaters perched on bare tree branches on both sides of the
road.  We then continued on to Susan's Ponds, Burger King Pond, San Ygnacio
Road and Texas A&M International University.  Only added White-tipped Dove and
Cliff Swallows and a few others.

Susan Foster
Laredo, Webb County