[texbirds] Laredo Slaty-Backed Gull -- Sunday YES (plus other Laredo birds)

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:07:25 -0600

TexBirders,
The Slaty-backed Gull here at Lake Casa Blanca State Park was refound this
morning by the Bernds, and David Steckoll, of Bastrop and Austin,
respectively. They found the bird at the Lago Vista area (near the pavilion
where it's been spotted before) this morning around 10 am. The bird left
soon after.

Yesterday the bird was also seen, and Gavin Bieber's first-year Lesser
Black-backed Gull was also present.

Many of the visiting birders have looked for White-collared Seedeaters.
They have found the birds at both North Central Park and Las Palmas trail.

We've also had the following interesting species here at Lake Casa Blanca:

- American Pipits are still around; I even saw a small flock just now over
by Day Use Area "G" despite the crowd of Sunday afternoon park visitors.
- I had my first of season Black-necked Stilts on Friday's bird walk at
Ranchito road lagoon
- Pine Warbler still can be found sometimes with flocks of Yellow-rumpeds
and Orange-crowned
- Wilson's Snipe have been seen and flushed often, and Soras are very vocal
- Last week we had a tail-less Audubon's Oriole at Ranchito Road
- Common Pauraques are calling in the evenings
- our wintering Western Grebe has been seen this week

The park is very crowded today, and will get even busier, as it's the end
of our month-long George Washington's Birthday celebration and fireworks
will be set off from the fairgrounds nearby.

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo