[texbirds] Laredo Birds

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:23:17 -0600

Happy New Year, Texbirders,
Since coming back to Laredo after being gone for Christmas, I have enjoyed
seeing Texas birds again, including Lake Casa Blanca's "winter Texans"
birds. Here's a report of park birds as of late.

-This Wednesday and Thursday I had a BROWN PELICAN. I have not seen it
since. I have a photo taken on Thursday if anyone is interested. I had this
species a few months ago here as well. Of course we have many American
White Pelicans as well.

- The Bonaparte's Gull that was found on the Laredo CBC was still around on
Wednesday and Thursday; it's probably still around.

The lagoon north of Ranchito Road is very, very full of water, and with
good waterfowl numbers, too:

In the past week I have had:

- Ring-necked Duck (only a few)
- MANY Northern Shovelers (also on the lake itself)
- Gadwall
- Green-winged Teal
- Blue-winged Teal
- The past few days I've had 7 Greater White-fronted Geese there, too.
- Black-crowned Night-heron immature
- 2 Tricolored Heron
- a few days ago I had a single Black-bellied Whistling Duck there, too.

I've also had Bufflehead off and on. So far this season I haven't seen
"our" Western Grebes that used to come and winter here; I have only seen
the Pied-billed and many Eared (Often I see 15 or more Eared in one flock).

Warbler flocks are busy and industrious, with many Yellow-rumped, some
Orange-Crowned, and also a few Pine. BG Gnatcatchers have been hanging out
with them, too.

Last week I was really happy to see a Northern Flicker here at the park; I
had actually never seen that bird in Texas before!

Full reports on eBird.

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo, TX