[texbirds] Lampasas and San Saba Cos. - 10/6 - slow

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:22:02 -0500

TexBirders,

I was expecting a rather substantial hawk migration today in the Hill Country but it did NOT materialize where I was. I visited Lampasas Co. (primarily Lometa Reservoir), and San Saba County (wide-ranging) and saw only a small handful of migrant hawks (Sharpies and Harriers). No Broad-winged and only a single Swainson's. Perhaps the low overcast kept any hawks grounded to the N of me. There were a few nice surprises, most significantly a 1st-year Bald Eagle which came powering low across the landscape--being harassed by a Caracara-- near Sloan, TX (abt 12 mi W of San Saba proper). It was not far off the San Saba River but the river is not very substantial in that area. Inexplicable.

At the wastewater treatment ponds In San Saba there were a dozen adult Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, one of which still had a brood of 3 half-grown youngsters in tow, obviously a local breeding record.

Lometa Reservoir had a massive raft of coots with a large diversity of common waterfowl sprinkled in. Four Forster's Terns foraged over the reservoir and a Long-billed Curlew flew over.

Migrant passerines were non-existent in woodlands anywhere. Maybe Sunday will bring hawks through if skies lift and winds hold from the N or NE.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX
Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission from the List Owner