[texbirds] Lake Travis parks (Travis Co.) - highlights 4/12/13

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:15:19 -0700 (PDT)

I swung by a few of the parks on Lake Travis (Travis Co.) this morning.  I only
have a little time to post, so will just present the highlights.  At Cypress
Creek Park I had a Merlin blast over, headed north.  Also at Cypress Creek were
2 singing Yellow-throated Vireos and 2 Yellow-breasted Chats, as well as a male
Wilson's Warbler.

On Bullick Hollow Rd, below the Oasis and on my way to Bob Wentz/Windy Point
Park, I had a Scott's Oriole that perched briefly in a bare tree top.

Bob Wentz/Windy Point Park was fairly quite bird-wise, but there are still 3
Common Loons on the lake (all 3 in or near full breeding plumage, 1 vocalized
briefly, and then I could to see one fly in front of me low across the point
headed up-reservoir).  Some of other birds of interest included 2 American
Kestrel, 11 Baird's Sandpiper, and a Western Kingbird.

Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701