[texbirds] Lake Travis Bob Wentz/Windy Point (Austin, Travis Co.) - Snowy Plovers and other Lake Travis sightings

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:14:18 -0700 (PDT)

Stopped by Lake Travis - Bob Wentz/Windy Point Park (Austin, Travis Co.) on the
morning of 3/30/13.  I had hoped to relocate the Baird's and Western sandpipers
that Sam Fason had there yesterday. No luck with the Western Sandpipers, but I
did find 9 Baird's Sandpipers as well as 1 Pectoral Sandpiper.  However, the
highlight was the 2 Snowy Plovers on the southeast shoreline of the point.
A stop by Cypress Creek Park on Lake Travis turned up a singing Lark Sparrow
(my first of the season) as well as a Sora down in the cattails along the creek
channel.  From the surrounding hillsides, I heard 3 singing Golden-cheeked
Warblers.  Four Northern Rough-winged Swallows appeared to be investigating
nest sites in the small karst features on the bluff along the creek.

Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701