[texbirds] Lake Marvin

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:05:23 -0500

Greetings,

I spent a little over an hour this morning with a coworker at Lake Marvin in
Hemphill County. It was a glorious summer morning of panhandle birding. Eastern
Kingbirds were frolicking around the entrance. A Chuck-wills-widow called
briefly at the start of the dam. Indigo Buntings everywhere. Dickcissels sang,
but evaded the eye of my coworker - that was a target as we have heard them
throughout the week, but not seen. Red-headed, Hairy and Red-bellied
Woodpeckers put on a show. A young Cooper's Hawk popped in for a visit. A nest
was nearby, but no sign of adults or other young. I am not 100% positive that
it was indeed a Cooper's Hawk nest, but it definitely looked like one. Further
investigation is warranted. A Red-eyed Vireo was signing and briefly flew by.
Great-crested Flycatchers popping up everywhere. A Least Tern was harassed over
the lake - good to see this species here. My coworker was happy to see a
Painted Bunting. Reminded her of her time spent in Texas when she worked at
Smith Point in the early 2000's.

A bit rambling... but just snippets of my brain from an area that is rarely
birded in July. Excellent birding for the region, though.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at