[texbirds] Lake Buchanan 7/24/12: 15 Shorebird Species (Breeding Black-necked Stilts)

  • From: Tim Fennell <tfennell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:40:45 -0700 (PDT)

I birded the area between Cedar Point Rec. Area and Tow on Lake Buchanan (Llano
Co.) today between 8:00 and 11:00 am. A viewpoint can be accessed via Tow but
most of the birds were distant and in poor light. A better vantage point
(better light especially) can be accessed by bushwhacking to the shore from
Granite Point and hiking along the muddy shoreline. However, this hike is not
for the sane (although Byron knows I did it anyway). The main highlight was a
family of Black-necked Stilts consisting of two adults and 4 fledglings (poor
photos obtained), probably a new breeding record for Llano County. Other
highlights included a Greater White-fronted Goose (!- seemingly wild -
photographed) and a juvenile Snowy Plover (suggesting they bred on the lake
again this year). Four adult and 8 juvenile Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks were
on a pond in the town of Burnet on the way to the lake. A partial list follows.

Cheers,
Tim Fennell
Round Rock, TX
Travis Audubon Society

Greater White-fronted Goose  1     Photographed.
Wood Duck  6
Neotropic Cormorant  3
American White Pelican  12
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  15
Snowy Egret  32
Green Heron  1
Snowy Plover  1 juvenile
Killdeer  30
Black-necked Stilt  6 (2 adults and 4 juveniles)    Photographed.
American Avocet  14     Photographed.
Spotted Sandpiper  4
Greater Yellowlegs  10
Lesser Yellowlegs  22