[texbirds] Laguna Gloria and Camp Mabry -- Thursday 9th

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 14:01:36 -0500

Enjoyable morning and the rain held off. I got a little frustrated by the
construction at TX-71 and FM-973, but that's life.
Laguna:

Robin Doughty, Dan Smith, and Ruben (visiting birder from Mexico) were
there too, and I still have not seen a Pied-billed Grebe and American Coot
there this month.
Barred Owl (adult, exposed perch for great views)
Orchard Oriole (female)
Common Yellowthroat (male)
Gray Catbird (Ruben)
Northern Waterthrush
Common Raven (Robin)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (probable, heard only)
Swainson's Thrush
Franklin's Gulls might have been on only my list

Hornsby:

There were a few other birders out there, including Corey, who I watched
warblers with at the top of the trail. I saw most of my "target" birds. The
swallow "show" is fun to watch, especially as they almost flew into me a
couple times in the strong winds.
Stilt Sandpiper
Semipalmated Plover
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Grebe
Franklin's Gull (beautiful black head, rosy wash)
Greater Yellowlegs (one, dwarfed all around)
Wilson's Phalaropes (about 50 in Pond 2, one preening in 1W)
Baird's and White-rumped Sandpipers (a couple that I could distinguish from
Pectoral)
Black-necked Stilt (two on bank of Pond 2)
Northern Waterthrush (south side of Pond 2)
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER (Bird of the day by far, seen from road on south side
of Pond 2)
Yellow Warbler (everywhere)
Blackburnian Warbler (two brilliant males on trail)
American Redstart (dashing male)
Tennessee Warbler
Baltimore Oriole (male)
Painted Bunting (singing males)