[texbirds] Laguna Gloria -- Thursday 31st

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:47:00 -0600

Well, it was a good day to be out birding. It's crazy to think January is
ending, and the temperature doesn't reflect the season. But this morning,
the cold was a reminder of winter. I was joined by Robin Doughty and his
son Nicholas, and briefly Eric Carpenter. We could not find the Barred
Owl(s), they may be on the nest. It may have kept the sparrows in hiding,
but raptors put on a show to make up for it. Starting at the ampitheater,
with the flock of about 30 wood ducks on the laguna, two Cooper's Hawks
flew into a large tree, perched and called. They were scared off by two
Red-shouldered Hawks, in the process of building their nest. Later, a
Sharp-shinned Hawk had an encounter with a third Red-shouldered, before
another Sharpie flew over.
A quick stop at Lake Fail in north, central Austin yielded nothing special
in the waterfowl category, but three Loggerhead Shrikes was a little
exciting, on the telephone wires over the railroad tracks.

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX