[texbirds] Lafittes and Quintana 4/25

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 21:53:51 -0500

Couldn't stand to spend the day at work today after the posts started to
roll in so I took off early and zipped down to the coast. As everyone has
said it was a fantastic day to be out! The real stars of this fallout on
the UTC seem to be the bigger migrants with warblers taking a bit of a
backseat. Although it's hard not to take a back seat to the absurd numbers
of Grosbeaks, Orioles, Tanagers and Catbirds.
When you walk up to a tiny shrub and 20 Catbirds, 15 Orioles, a few
tanagers, and a couple of warblers pop out you know you are seeing
something special.

I haven't wrapped my brain around final tallies for the day but some of the
"highlights" included:

Ovenbirds and other warblers at Lafitte's that were so exhausted that they
wouldn't bother to move away from you while feeding on open grassy areas.

Thrushes just everywhere. Had a moment at Lafitte's where we had 3
Swainson's, 1 Veery, and 1 Gray Cheeked in the same binocular view....on a
lawn.

Hummingbirds were making a huge push down toward Quintana with nearly every
flowering shrub along the highway harboring multiple birds.

Many Philadelphia Vireos.

If I tally up the warblers I saw (16 species) along with the reliable
reports I got I can come up with about 25 warbler species being seen along
the UTC today.

Didn't really try to max out on species today just sat back and enjoyed the
awesome show.

Did I mention another cold front is coming next week.....

Fantastic Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX