[texbirds] Lafitte's Cove 4/9/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 22:44:01 -0400 (EDT)

Lafitte's Cove was predictably slow this afternoon. Not much action at all.
 Highlight for the afternoon was a male Audubon's Yellow-rump Warbler, a
Wilson's  Warbler, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a very quick look by three of us
at a Night  Hawk that appeared to have the white stripes  way out on the
wings farther  than a Common. We could not relocate it after it flew by.

Yesterday 4/8/13 Jan and I decided to do something different for a couple
of hours so we headed East from our house and drove the back roads between
Anahuac and Winnie and then went up North of I-10 and looked around. Mainly
looking to see if there were any early flooded fields. There was a large
field  on FM-1985 that was flooded last week but it was already drained.
Headed up Pear  Orchard from there and ironically it looks like a lot of fields
are in need of  drying out so levees can be put in them to be flooded again.
After heading up  Pear Orchard we turned East on Fairview and then North
again on Dornbos Rd.  Right after we turned North there was a small amount of
standing water close to  the road and the was one Solitary Sandpiper and a
few Greater Yellowlegs. Headed  farther North and crossed I-10. Up on Hamilton
Lateral Rd there was a flooded  field with Blue-winged Teal, N Shovelers,
Cattle Egrets. a Pied-billed Grebe and  a large flock of dark colored Ibis I
could only assume were White-faced due to  the distance from the road. A
little more North on that road there was another  wet filed with all the same
birds plus some Short-billed Dowithcers and Western  Sandpipers. Heading Back
West on FM 1663 right after turning on to it there was  a wet field with a
few American Golden Plovers, Whimbrels, Pectoral Sandpipers  and both Lesser
and Greater Yellowlegs. Still not enough water to attract  much.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  County