[texbirds] Lafitte's Cove 4/4 - 17 Warbler Species Reported

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 22:02:06 -0500

Still some great birding at Lafitte's this afternoon but a bit slower than
yesterday, likely due to a lack of newly arriving migrants. I have a
feeling the cloudy and cool conditions also kept many migrants tucked away
in the denser vegetation and out of site.
I got a brief look today at the Swainson's Warbler I found yesterday but no
one that I am aware of turned up any Cerulean Warblers. I believe the
Calliope Hummingbird was reported during the morning hours but I'm not sure
who found it.

Highlights that I am aware of are listed below.

Broad Winged Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Sora - at least a couple of birds

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - several
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

White-eyed Vireo - many
Yellow-throated Vireo - 2
Blue-headed Vireo - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - several

Continued good movement of swallows

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Large numbers continue from yesterday

Gray Catbird - 1, seems odd that more haven't shown up yet

Blue-winged Warbler - 2
Tennessee Warbler - 4
Orange-crowned Warbler - 2
Nashville Warbler - 1
Northern Parula ~ 12
Yellow-rumped Warbler - several, Audubon's is still hanging around
Blackburnian Warbler - 2
Yellow-throated Warbler > 8 A bit hard to know how may for sure, but i had
several instances of 2 or 3 birds in view at one time.
Palm Warbler - 1
Black and White Warbler > 20
Prothonotary Warbler - 1 or 2
Worm-eating Warbler - 4
Swainson's Warbler - 1, brief looks late afternoon
Louisiana Waterthrush - reported by others
Kentucky Warbler - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 2
Hooded Warbler > 6

Indigo Bunting