[texbirds] LaFitte's Cove and Settegast this afternoon

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:25:20 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

Finally a birdy day!

I arrived about 2pm and stayed to  5pm

6 Warblers seen or reported included Black-and-white, Black-throated
Green, Nashville, Myrtle, Audubon's, Worm-eating

4 species vireos were Red and White-eyed, Warbling and Blue-headed

3 species of flycatchers were in the woods - Eastern Wood-Pewee,
Eastern and Western Kingbirds

FOS Swainson's Thrush

Both buntings, tanagers, and orioles

A Rose-breasted Grosbeak was my FOS

A beautiful White-crowned Sparrow was in the field at the back on Jibstay Ct

Unfortunately for photographers, the birds were all in the trees,
seldom at the drip.

I refound the American Golden-Plover on Settegast on the way down. It
was in the field on the right just before the bridge over the creek.

I took a group of Aussie birders at 5pm to show them and there were 3
of them in the field along with 2 Upland Sandpipers.

Here are some photos from today....

American Golden Plover on Settegast....   http://www.pbase.com/image/149680380

and    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149680381

Blue-headed Vireo was in a tree above the
drip...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149680382

The Eastern Wood-Pewee had a mouthful of
bug....    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149680383

An unusual find in the woods was a Loggerhead Shrike atop a bare tree
singing his heart out....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149680384

This first year male Orchard Oriole was at the entrance as I walked
in....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149680385

Here is the Western Kingbird. he was in the same tree as the shrike,
about 10 minutes earlier....  http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149680386

This beautiful White-crowned Sparrow has wonderful
markings....     http://www.pbase.com/image/149680588

Also a correction from yesterday, Steve Gross emailed me that he had
the wrong ID on the Chuck-will's-widow. On seeing the photos, he says
it is a Common Nighthawk

If anyone saw additional birds at LaFitte's after 5pm, please post.

Good birding

David McDonald
Friendswood TX