[texbirds] Kites

  • From: Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:42:54 -0500

Yesterday I went to Port O Call Park in Harris County and did not see the
Swallow-tailed Kites. Today I went back and saw 5 Swallow-tailed Kites and
1 Mississippi Kite. The juveniles are good at flying now and they are
moving around more. You might have to wait a long time until you see them
fly over this area but they are still around for now. The Mississippi Kite
was chasing the Swallow-tailed Kites. After a short chase the
Swallow-tailed would out distance the Mississippi and the Mississippi would
turn and chase after another Swallow-tailed until it would out distance it
too. It was nice seeing them fly together for comparison. The
Swallow-tailed are much faster and better at turning sharp. Here is a photo
of the 2 with the Mississippi behind the Swallow-tailed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/9289708590/
I did not see any Purple Martins yesterday but I did see some today. There
was a Louisiana Waterthrush there both days. I also saw a couple of Great
Crested Flycatchers, Red-headed Woodpeckers and a Black-bellied Whistling
Duck with 10 juveniles.

Greg Page
Houston