[texbirds] Kingbirds in Downtown Fort Worth?

  • From: Justin Bower <justinbower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:17:07 -0500

I was presenting at a conference at the Convention Center in Fort Worth on
Thursday, and while walking around at night in the water gardens adjacent,
saw two birds catching insects attracted to a streetlight. They were flying
back and forth between a tree and the light. I got close enough to see they
were Kingbirds of some variety or another, but between the dark, the lack
of any optics, and their standoffishness, I couldn't get too good a look. I
got the impression of very yellow underparts and a medium black strip
through the eye. They looked like Western Kingbirds at first impression.
Consulting Sibley's it looks like Fort Worth is within the summer range of
Westerns? Is this likely? Am I missing something obvious? I've never birded
this area so I wasn't sure what to expect, especially in downtown Fort
Worth.

Justin Bower
Houston, TX reporting from Fort Worth