[texbirds] Katy Prairie this morning, hawks, eagle and couch's kingbird

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 19:26:51 -0500

I did my usual loop through west harris and waller county to try and find
late lingering winter birds and migrants. Did not find many lingering
landbirds at all and many of the summer birds are not their although some
like orchard orioles and eastern kingbirds are common down on the coast.
Scissor-tails have filled in many of their usual spots and are paired.
Stopping at Paul Rushing park, I found no grass-pipers but a nice mix of
species of water-pipers. Still quite a few brewer's blackbirds. Two
american pipits flew over. This made my 12th un-kiskadee trip to the park
but the single couch's kingbird was in its usual place on the wires calling
diligently. Missed it last try.

Lots of crested caracara out there in light of the recent discussions.
Found 2 probable nest sites behind fences. The highlight was a group of 8
young of last year birds trying to steal a roadkill skooshed bunrabbit from
a recently fledged bald eagle. A truck scared the eagle off and I never saw
it again but the caracara quickly returned to eat.

Birds were flying in from behind the hill to pick up pieces and carry them
off. They had no indicator of food as no vultures were in sight. Maybe
helpers at the nest taking food home to chicks but no adults joined the
effort.

Many of the wintering red-tailed hawks of the krider's hawks were on their
usual perches and the harlan's hawk at the corner of Hebert and Pennick was
still there.

A little before 10am swainson's hawks started going up from Barn Owl Woods
and the scrub to the east. Most headed north or northwest. A couple nice
groups of broad-winged hawks were already up above the lower puffy clouds.
They wanted to kettle but the wind broke them up and made things a little
chaotic. More swainson's going over on Porter.

I tried squeaking and calls at all spots where I had harris's sparrows
during the winter and found none and almost no white-crowned sparrows at
those spots either. There are still white-crowns out there singing. Upland
sandpipers scattered around and going overhead early in the morning. No
short-eared owls either although several harriers were in the fields on
Porter.

Not much water around except in the settling area in Paul Rushing; water
out in the field soaked in but grass sure can get green in a hurry. No rice
flooded yet although several fields are ready.

Gold goldfinches still singing away at home.

Joseph Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston