[texbirds] Katy Prairie doldrums Friday illustrated

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:32:14 -0600

I spent a good part of Friday on the Katy Prairie and ending up in Stephen
F. Austin State Park. Birds were scattered and hard to find. Some species
that did not do well in the freezes like orange-crowned warbler and
ruby-crowned kinglet were not seen all day. Sparrows had abandoned many of
the hot spots from last month as did a lot of the hawks. Oddly I had no
waxwings or robins for the day either as some have gone north and others
are concentrated where there is food. Yaupon berries seemed to be gone.
I started on Porter looking for the short-eared owls without any luck. The
horned owl around the corner on Longenbaugh did hoot and bobwhites rallied
before sunup. The owls may have moved on due to food shortage as the
northern harriers that roosted to the northeast were not present either
except for one bird hunting to the west. They were hard to find all day and
red-tailed numbers were way down too.

I did have a smallish kettle of red-tailed hawks generally following the
Brazos north when I was down in the river bottoms on Harpers Church Road. A
single peregrine falcon was moving with and among the red-tails. Zero birds
on the sod farm which did not suffer the frosts well and was completely dry.

No sparrows at the Longenbaugh bridge but savannahs were scattered around
all day but in small flocks widely spaced.

New grass growth is starting to seed and a flock of 35 or so lark sparrows
was along Cochrane feeding on the new growth
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628156

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628160

Red-shouldered hawks were commoner than usual along my route. This young of
last year was along Hebert east of the Katy Prairie prairie
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628161

It glared disapproval of the camera but generally ignored me
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628163

It was enjoying the sun
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628165

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628167

But was not finding anything to eat in the ditch
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628168

Further out Hebert, the white-tailed hawk that played with the caracara a
month ago was on its usual perch
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628176

It has molted some and grown more white feathers since then
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628179

It ignored me and traffic until a fleet of trucks from the pipeline work
came by
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628181

But it did not go far
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628182

A yellow-breasted sapsucker was preening in the sun
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628183

It did show its side stripe
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628184

But with the feathers fluffed the stripe vanished
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628185

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628188

Stephen Austin had several calling red-shouldered hawks announcing spring
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628195

Titmice and chickadees were feeding on the ground. The tufted mice have
darker crests here than at home in Houston and the black patch over the eye
is bigger too
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628197

There is some black edgings on head feathers here that my home birds do not
have. Perhaps a little gene flow from further west. Only one bird called a
bit after lunch and it was maybe not the usual Houston call either
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628199

A pair of yellow-shafted flickers were working around a hole in stub in the
state park but were feeding on termites rather than nesting. Normally they
head for the hills when they see me coming with a camera and these are my
first ever flicker pictures.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628269

they would whack a little and then get the tongue up into the opened area
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628271

They showed how the tail is used to brace while they are whacking
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628277

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628279

they showed off their white rumps while feeding
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628280

The stripe on the face was black and the wing lining all yellow but there
was a little orange in the tail feathers and shafts
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154628287

Lots of good habitat along the river bottoms down Mt Zion and Diemer roads,
but it is mainly inaccessible to birding. Still with the bridge on Mt Zion
officially closed there is little traffic and one can stop and bird from
the pullouts. It does have great numbers of painted buntings in season.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston