[texbirds] Junction notes (longish)

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:00:51 -0500

I was out both Saturday & Sunday with groups participating in the Wings over
the Hills Festival in Fredericksburg. We visited most of the local hotspots
including the Wastewater Ponds, Junction Ralph Ingram Tennis Center which has
good habitat around it and the South Llano River State Park. On Saturday we
tallied 83 species and that day has been posted on ebird. The most sought
species were Black-capped Vireo and the Golden-cheeked Warbler. On Saturday I
dipped on the warbler--never heard or observed one. On Sunday we had two and
Bill Lindeman and I only managed a good look at one out at the state park
between Deer Blinds 7 & 8. I'm sure the warbler is nesting so not singing as
much. The specific area where I have always had 8-10 pairs of birds may only
have 2-3 this year. JMO (just my opinion) the birds are not there. I have also
checked the canyon where Deer Blinds 2 & 3 located and pretty quiet there also.
Re: the Black-capped Vireo---requires a little more effort to get on them also.
The most reliable pair is very near the Agarita Bird Blind. You can stand on
the trail to the blind and get them in the large oaks with some patience.

Today I visited the Tennis Center and had:
Bullock's Oriole
Merlin (fly-by and harassing everything is sight)
Western Kingbird
Vermilion Flycatcher
Clay-colored Sparrow
Lark Sparrow (many!)
Bell's Vireo
Cassin's Sparrow (at least 4 calling/skylarking)

Wastewater Ponds:
White-faced Ibis 7
Yellow-headed Blackbird 8
Baird's Sandpiper 10
Pectoral Sandpiper 2
Few ducks--Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall and Ruddy Duck

South Llano River State Park (where mainly just looking for migrants after last
nights storm, under pecans at the river crossing)
Nashville Warbler 7+
Orange-crowned Warbler 2
Least Flycatcher (1 chebeking constantly)
Blue Grosbeak 3
Red-eyed Vireo 2

Cajac Creek Crossing (9 miles on past entrance to state park and best place for
close looks at Cave Swallow)
Cave Swallow 40+ under the bridge--if you pish they will come within 6' of you.
If you want photo of Cave Swallow this is the place.
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Black-capped Vireo (calling from hillside)
Cassin's Sparrow 4-5 in the fields
Vermilion Flycatcher 1

You will have to bird this area from the road---park on concrete apron west of
bridge. I used to get Black Phoebe here.
Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.