[texbirds] Junction birding - Shorebirds, Varied Bunting, and Yellow-headed Blackbirds

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:29:47 -0500

Hello,

This morning on my way back from doing some banding in Christoval with Charles
and Nancy Floyd I decided to stop in Junction to find the Varied Bunting that
had been seen by Rhandy the other day at easter Pageant Hill. I heard it
singing as soon as I got out of the car.  I saw it twice, once around 8:45 and
then around 9:20 am.  Both times it was on the wires running west down the hill
just south of the three crosses.  The rest of the time I could hear it singing
sporadically in the cedar further to the south.  Other birds here included a
beautiful male Scott's Oriole singing very close, a Yellow-breasted Chat,
plenty of Bell's Vireos, a pair of Vermilion Flycatchers across the road on the
golf course, and an accipiter that I didn't get a good look at.
I stopped by the wastewater treatment plant on my way out of town, and quickly
found a flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds with some Red-winged Blackbirds and a
Bronzed Cowbird along the middle road.  They were very skittish.  The
shorebirds were all in the NE pond, and were all adults.  I really enjoyed
seeing the Baird's and the Stilt Sandpipers.
I didn't have time to search for Zone-tailed Hawks in town or down by the state
park.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
University of Dallas
Irving, TX
512 431-2495

Begin forwarded message:

> From: do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: eBird Report - Junction- Easter Pageant Hill, Jul 20, 2012
> Date: July 20, 2012 6:19:42 PM CDT
> To: christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Junction- Easter Pageant Hill, Kimble, US-TX
> Jul 20, 2012 8:35 AM - 9:50 AM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Comments:     Clear, 0-5 mph S winds, from 75 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
> Looking for the VABU.  Found it.
> 26 species (+1 other taxa)
>
> Black Vulture  2
> Turkey Vulture  100
> Accipiter sp.  1
> White-winged Dove  6     2 HO
> Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
> Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2     1 HO
> Vermilion Flycatcher  2
> Bell's Vireo  11     9 HO
> Cave Swallow  5
> Verdin  5     4 HO
> Canyon Wren  2     1 HO
> Carolina Wren  2     HO
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3     1 HO
> Northern Mockingbird  2
> Yellow-breasted Chat  1
> Rufous-crowned Sparrow  3
> Field Sparrow  1     HO
> Lark Sparrow  1
> Black-throated Sparrow  1
> Summer Tanager  1     HO
> Northern Cardinal  8
> Varied Bunting  1     never came farther north than the telephone lines
> running down the hill just south of the three crosses
> Painted Bunting  4     2 HO
> Brown-headed Cowbird  4
> Orchard Oriole  1
> Scott's Oriole  1
> Lesser Goldfinch  1     HO

Junction WTP (HOTW 090), Kimble, US-TX
Jul 20, 2012 9:55 AM - 10:25 AM
Protocol: Area
5.0 ac
Comments:     Clear, 5-10 mph S, around 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
24 species

Cattle Egret  3
Turkey Vulture  10
Killdeer  4
American Avocet  6
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Western Sandpiper  10
Least Sandpiper  18
Baird's Sandpiper  1
Stilt Sandpiper  2
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Western Kingbird  1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
Bell's Vireo  2     HO
Barn Swallow  1
Cliff Swallow  150
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
Lark Sparrow  8
Painted Bunting  2     HO
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Yellow-headed Blackbird  17     Feeding along the central berm.  Good looks,
both bright males and some females.
Bronzed Cowbird  1
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
House Finch  2