[texbirds] Re: Junction, Texas sites

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:21:17 -0500

To answer some questions:
The County Fairgrounds are actually privately owned by the Kimble County
Fairground Association but I don't think anyone is going to get arrested for
birding the place. Someone might inquire as to what you are doing but even that
is unlikely. Most of the local people know that birders are visiting the area
and welcome them. I've spent 11 years trying to educate them. The Rodeo
Arena/dance pavilion is the best place for Cactus Wren in the Junction area.

The Junction Wastewater Ponds (on FM 2169) are always open. The city knows
birders come in and they even spent $1,000 to build a fence "walk-over". But,
they leave all the gates open so the walk-over is not used much now. I ask them
to build the walk-over when they put the fence up separating the road in from
the ponds. The city officials told me the state required them to put up the
fence, which looks intimidating when you drive in. You cannot bird this area
effectively by staying in your car and I think most birders do not bird this
area properly. Drive into the facility half-way and another road goes to the
right through a gate. This gate is always open and you can drive in and park
off of the road. This is the only restriction---do not park on roads. If you
drive in through the second gate and park the height of the levees will hide
you from the birds and they won't flush. I drive through the 2nd gate and down
near the metal building at the end of this road and pull off. The best
shorebird pond is the pond just north of this building.  Waterfowl are mostly
on the front two ponds, which you can mostly scan from your vehicle. You can
walk over the whole area. The back area used to be a great sparrow area but the
pro-longed drought has pretty much decimated the place. Cassin's Sparrow can be
viewed (although I haven't checked lately) and it was pretty reliable for Lark
Bunting in season. Another issue is that the property owner adjacent to the
west started some dry-land farming so plowed up the fields thus removing all
the native grasses and forbs. The whole area was awesome for seed-eating birds
but not so much now.

My fear for this area is that someone (non-birder) goes in and dumps trash or
steals some city equipment (tractors). If that happens then I think the city
closes all the gates.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.