[texbirds] Re: July 26, Utley property

  • From: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 2:52:41 +0000

Speaking of cuckoos, about a week ago I stopped by Lake Findley in Alice to see
what was up. On the entrance road, there were three Groove-billed Anis and a
Roadrunner having a clucking contest. I also heard an ani call that I hadn't
heard before, kind of a high whistle they gave as they called across the road
to each other. Maybe a young one calling his parent?

Also of note, a pair of Clay-colored Thrushes trying to intimidate a squirrel,
Lark Sparrow foraging under a tree, Northern Bob White calling - and seen - and
Northern Mockingbirds to beat the band.

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi

---- Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
.
N. Parula 1 chipping male while cleaning on truck. Usually gone by now
from prop. as local residents, the come the burst of migrants later..
Been gone for about a week and will be again, but on returning, the male
PABUs have completely stopped singing here but HY birds are really coming
in for water. GC Flycatchers ...No trace of them. As I was standing
outside with java well before dawn this morning, two YB Cuckoos were
gulupping from different areas. Screech Owls were flying like moths around
the house but were hardly saying anything except a very occasional pathetic
little moan.. Blasted Roadrunner snapped up one of my larger racerunner
lizards today. Have not checked critter cams as yet, but a fox walked
across the prop. this AM...Cat is always interested in fox people but
little else.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621