[texbirds] January pictures, kriders, kingbirds and other stuff

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:01:54 -0600

Been busy with non-bird stuff but did get out a little and some pictures.
Back on January 3, I did Anahuac with the white-headed lesser scaup female.
It was with ring-necked ducks but a tad larger
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154021569

But showed off its wing stripe when it pattered off to another part of the
pond
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154021573

Lots of orange-crowned warblers in the edges
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154021843

Pied-billed grebes are starting to call and pair

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154022509

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154022512

The red-tailed hawk at the woodland sat for a change
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154022763

It looks very much like the bird that had been so cooperative down by the
bay but has all freshly molted feathers and the bay bird was ratty all over
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154022763

Still a few fulvous whistling ducks lingering, but they were gone the
following week
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154023598

Ruddy ducks are showing off their stiff-tails
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154023604

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154023602

I went looking for kingbirds down at smith point and found this western
kingbird among the shells. This is the first time that I have had trouble
getting clear pictures due to a) vast numbers of flies and b) visible fumes
emanating from the shells. At first I had hopes for a cassin's which had
been reported and there was a white-chinned look
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154036352

But the tail feathers said western kingbird and my first winter record of
such
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154036354

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154036355

The rattlebox around the hawk watch tower had lots of song sparrows
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154036357

Home has downy woodpeckers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279019

Sleepy and fat fox squirrels
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279025

Cardinals starting to sing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279027

And super-abundant pine warblers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279029

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279031

The 14th had a very cooperative red-shouldered hawk on the 14th
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279059

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279055

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279054

Anahuac had the continuing canvasbacks in shoveler pond
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279063

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279064

Shovelers scarfing up the garbage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279066

Pied-billed grebes were displaying the fine tail feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279069

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279067

One of the swamp sparrows was camera shy
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279072

And of course, there is the male vermilion flycatcher showing off near the
buildings
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279075

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279073

The bird of the day was the krider's hawk along the refuge on 1986 west of
the trailers and Skillern that had first been found back during the hawk
watch. It was very tame and did not flush for passing vehicles except
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279095

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279096

It did not like porta-potty trucks and flushed when both of them passed. It
went off to the north but after a bit returned to its pole
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279100

Spectacular tail pattern
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279099

The feather spread looks like feathered legs
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279102

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279105

And here comes the second porta-potty truck
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279106

And off it goes
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279107

Attwater refuge did not have many birds on the 16th but the county roads
between there and eagle lake had lots of stuff including easter phoebe
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279112

A house wren scolded me for a long time
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279120

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279119

Maybe it wanted me to pull the thorn from its neck
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279117

But it did a good mystery bird pose
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279113

Lots of cranes up near the eagle lake airport until a couple of planes came
over low
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279126

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279127

Northern harriers were over most fields
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279132

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279134

Ever hopeful but I never saw one actually catch prey
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279135

So off to try another patch
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154279136

All the pictures can be browsed at