[texbirds] January Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in western Williamson County

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "drbirdie@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:55:31 -0500

Hi All,
Glumly driving home late today after work, wishing I had gotten off early
enough to do some birding, I spotted the unmistakable silhouette of a
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on a high line wire on the west side of Hwy 183 north
of Leander, Tx.
"That's remarkable," I thought, especially since this bird was not near an
urban island of heat or light. We sometimes have a few scissor-tails overwinter
in places with lots of outdoor lights, like the car dealerships along I-35 in
Round Rock.

So, I thought maybe I should go back and try to get some photos to document the
bird.
As luck would have it, not only was this along a very high-speed, high-traffick
part of Hwy 183, there was also a construction crew pulling off with multiple
giant trucks in the exact spot where I needed to pull over to get photos of the
bird.
But pull over I did, and asked one of the busy men if I would be in the way. He
said no so I pulled out my camera and took a few shots of the bird, three of
which I posted on my Flickr page.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedrbirdie/16032190789/in/photostream/>

Spirits brightened, I got back in the car and merrily resumed the drive home.

Good birding ya'll,
Byron Stone, Austin