[texbirds] January Hummingbirds in W Texas

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:28:09 -0600

Texbirders,
We completed our second round of banding sessions in the lower Big Bend
area these past two days.  This is an unprecedented January for
hummingbirds in the region.  If Anna's Hummingbirds continue to be present
in these numbers there will surely be a few nesting records to be had in
the next couple of months.  Texas has only three, one from Jeff Davis
County and two from El Paso County.  Their California cousins are already
on nests where birds are resident year-round.  We do not know exactly what
portion of the west coast Anna's population is migratory, but it is likely
the northern portion.

Totals for the month of January:  5 species and 60 birds including 45 new
birds and 15 returns/recaps.

   - Black-chin - 1 new bird on 1/17 (SY M)
   - Anna's - 44 birds including 37 new birds and 7 returns/recaps (2 from
   last year and 5 from Nov/Dec)
   - Costa's - 1 new bird on 1/14 (AHY F, last seen on 1/19)
   - Rufous - 11 birds including 4 new birds and 7 returns/recaps (all from
   Nov/Dec)
   - Allen's - 3 birds including 2 new birds (1/14 and 1/28 from Lajitas)
   and 1 return/recap (originally banded 12/8 near Willow Mtn)

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/